CHAP. XLVIIII RAPIDAN TO THE JAMES. 503
to their support, and held a position on the east bank of the river
under a heavy fire of the enemy.
May 24.—Crossed the North Anna at 2 p. m. and massed on the
Fox estate. At 7 p. in. advanced and took position in front line and
May 25.—At 5 p. m. were relieved by First Brigade ; took position
in second line and remained.
May 26.—No change.
May 27.—At 12.15 a. m. recrossed the North Anna and marched
toward the Pamunkey River.
May 28.—At 5 a. m. crossed the Pamunkey at Hundley's Ferry ;
went into position ; built breast-works for the night.
May 29.—Moved out on Hanover Court-House road to support
Barlow's division reconnaissance. At 7 p. m. took position on right
of the road ; built works and encamped for the night.
May 30.—Remained in same position ; sharp skirmishing.
May 31.—At 9 a. in. brigade advanced on the enemy's works and
became hotly engaged ; drove the enemy and occupied their works ;
remained in this position all day.
Report of Lieut. Col. Michael W. Burns, Seventy-third New York
HDQRS. SEVENTY-THIRD NEW YORK STATE VOLS.,
August 9, 1864.
LIEUTENANT : In compliance with Special Orders, No. 209, from
headquarters Army of the Potomac, dated August 5, 1864, I have
the honor to submit the following report :
This command broke camp near Brandy Station, Va., May 3, 1864,
at 10 p. m., and with the balance of the corps took the direction of
the Rapidan River, which was crossed at Ely's. Ford at daylight the
next morning. Pressing forward without halting, it reached the
old battle-field of Chancellorsville about 3 p. m., where it bivou-
acked for the night. The march was resumed early the next morn-
ing on the road leading to Fredericksburg. After proceeding in this
direction, however, for some 2 or 3 miles, the column turned to the
right, ails]. shortly afterward, at the junction of two roads, the bri-
gade was halted, closed in mass, and skirmishers thrown out. Re-
mained in this position about one hour, when the command moved
to the right in the direction of the plank road leading to Orange
Court-House, brisk cannonading going on at the time. Pressing
forward rapidly, line was soon formed in the Wilderness, to the left
of the plank road, and a breast-work hastily constructed of such
material as was at hand, such as logs, brush, &c., a similar line
having been thrown up in front of us by a line of battle stationed
there. The works were scarcely constructed when the first line of
battle was fiercely assailed by the enemy. After a stubborn resist-
ance it was forced back and the second line was ordered forward
over its works to its support. The advance was accordingly made,
and this command advanced into the woods to the distance of, per-
haps, one-quarter of a mile. The first line having broken and fell
back, this command was soon attacked, and after sustaining the
shock for fifteen or twenty minutes, when it was discovered that the
enemy had thrown a heavy column on our left flank, and the bri-